Today, Mrs Marsden is going to read, ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ written by Eric Carle. The story is about a small caterpillar who emerges from an egg and begins eating everything in sight! I wonder what the caterpillar will turn into at the end?
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin…
Here are a few questions and things to talk about after you’ve listened to the story.
- What did the caterpillar eat first?
- What did the caterpillar build around himself?
- When did the caterpillar eat the oranges?
- When did the caterpillar come out of the cocoon (chrysalis)?
- How many plums did the caterpillar eat?
- How did the caterpillar get out of the cocoon?
- Why did the caterpillar get a stomach ache?
- Have you seen a caterpillar? Held one? What did it look or feel like?
Did you enjoy listening to the story?
Have a go at making up your own version of the story. You could change the main character, for example, The Very Hungry Slug.
You could also change the food, for example, ‘One Monday he ate through one banana. But he was still hungry. On Tuesday he ate through two melons…’
See you next Friday for another story!