This week’s message is from Miss Beatson…
Spring term is always my favourite: the brighter get-ups, more opportunity to be outside, and it’s the time in the academic year where we see children start to make great progress.
This half term, the children have been learning about Computing. It’s been impressive to hear children from Year 1 upwards talking about algorithms, coding and programming. We had a Topic Review this week where parents and carers came into the classroom to discover more about all the great Computing learning that has been happening. Here are some of the positive comments:
- ‘Really excellent covering of the topic- the class enjoyed it and they were encouraged to participate well.’
- ‘Really enjoyed this session. It was clear the children had learnt a lot and were so engaged.’
- ‘It is a great topic. Totally encourage the use of technology for education.’
This term has also seen the start of our new Design Technology: Cooking curriculum. Years 1 and 2 have made overnight oats with fruit and yoghurt; Years 3 and 4 cooked some delicious tomato bruschetta; and Years 5 and 6 have cooked pasta bake with lots of vegetables. Hopefully, they’ll be able to re-create these healthy recipes at home, too! More wonderful creations will take place next term, too.
In recent weeks, some of you may have noticed that Mr Freeman, who teaches in Year 5/6, hasn’t been at school. Mr Freeman has been very poorly and unable to teach but we’re hoping he’ll be well enough to come back at some point in the Summer term. I know the children are missing him very much and I know he’s really missing being at school. We wish him all the best in a speedy recovery. Meanwhile, Miss Wilson (a teacher from Moortown Primary School), Mrs Bald and I are teaching the class in Mr Freeman’s absence.
Next week, we have a few end of term events:
- Monday 27 March: PTA bake sale after school. Please bring in your donations on Monday morning.
- Wednesday 29 March: Easter Service 2-2.45pm at St James’ Church.
- Friday 31 March: PTA Easter Hunt (this is in school time and just the children will be involved).
Finally, thanks to everyone who responded to the survey about class trips which closed at 12 noon today – we had over 260 responses from the three Sphere Federation schools. We’ll be reviewing the responses which will help inform how we develop a long-term plan for the trips.
Have a happy and healthy weekend.