13 October 2017
For all children in Year 1 – Year 6, the homework this week is talk time and is due in on Thursday 19 October. There are two options:
- I can prepare a speech for the School Council elections.
- I know the importance of voting.
It’s time for children to consider if they would like to stand for election for our new School Council. With two representatives from each class, chosen democratically by their peers, all children at St James’ Primary are encouraged to take an active part in pupil voice.
Elections for our new school council will take place on Thursday 19 October with our polling station and ballot boxes at the ready. Candidates will have the opportunity to give their election speech to their class on Thursday 19 October.
What makes a good school councillor has been considered by our classes:
- ‘use all the 8 Rs for learning’
- ‘be respectful’
- ‘help others’
- ‘be a good speaker and listener (to members of your class and in the meetings)’
- ‘tell the truth’
- ‘be confident with your ideas’
- ‘accept the views of others even if you don’t agree’
- ‘be friendly and approachable’
- ‘make good choices in class and around school’
Hints for your speech include:
- What skills and abilities would a good school councillor have?
- What are you particularly good at that would help you to be a great school councillor?
- What do you think would make the school better?
- What could you do that people would really like?
- Think of things that are realistic, maybe that you could do yourself, rather than having to ask other people to do
Any current school councillors are welcome to stand for election again.
Good luck to all children who decide to stand in the elections.
If you choose not to stand in the election then you should consider the importance of voting.
06 October 2017
This week’s homework is Creative and is due on Thursday 12 October.
I can explore my local area.
Get out and about in your local area and be the explorer. For your homework you could:
- Take photos of your exploration.
- Write an exploration diary.
- Create a map and indicate where you’ve been.
- Be a journalist and report and things in your area.
29 September 2017
This week’s homework is Practice makes Perfect. You need to complete a reading comprehension – ‘The Earthquake’. This must be handed in on Thursday 05 October.
22 September 2017
This week’s homework is Creative and is due on Thursday 28 September:
‘I can show the places I would like to explore and what I think they would be like.’
Ideas to be creative: maps, diagrams, drawings, PowerPoint, poems, models or other creative ideas to share children’s ideas.
We’re revising the eight times table in class this week.
15 September 2017
This week, the homework is Practice makes perfect.
In class, we’ve been learning about negative numbers. You need to complete the sheet. Draw number lines to help you solve challenging questions.
08 September 2017
This week’s homework is Talk Time and due on Thursday 14 September.
How can we make school a safe, happy and friendly place for everyone?
Suggestions to talk about:
- using manners
- being a good friend